TYNESIDE POETS!

TYNESIDE POETS!

Friday 22 April 2011

NIGHTJARS AND THEIR ALLIES


(for K.)
The nightjars and their allies
have their heads down in the woods today,
dreaming of wild nights,
a chance to sing on the flickering wing.
And you my dark-haired songstress
could writhe naked on a bed of their feathers
as I touch with my aching fingertips
the tips of your sprawling bliss
in all that lushness between the trembling trees.
For you are dusky,
silky-tailed and
white-winged;
you are my European Nightjar
churring as I make you
spring to life in shivers of moonlight.
White-throated and golden,
star-spotted and black-shouldered,
you straddle your strapping limbs around me,
wrap my leaping heart in charcoal ribbons,
fly me screaming in a flock of black birds
and drench me
with jars of night song.


KEITH ARMSTRONG