TYNESIDE POETS!

TYNESIDE POETS!

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Certainly

Certainly morning must be deaf to me,
While streets and streets are tumbling with litter,
Headlamps are bright as the song of a thrush
Sung while trees hold hard a moon over the road.

There can be no suggestion I appeared,
With too few letters being written on ice.
An obscure church clock finds time for echoes
As if dumb office blocks are all bell towers.

Although CCTV pays me no heed
That very blindness causes me to worry.
Should pavements split open spewing lava,
Who’d stop shadows being incinerated?

Clouds must not be allowed to rain my name
To shatter on kerbstones, run in gutters.
Bankers, behind closed doors, are at a loss
As the red shift measures out distances.

Now’s the time to slam books of poetry
And make libraries crematoria.
From dust and ash and the spit off my tongue
I’ll mould a golem, then refuse it life.

First glimmer of light betrays the darkness,
Memories collectively forget dreams,
Dissembled church, ringing with silence, allows
That I might slip away quite unnoticed.

                                                    Dave Alton