TYNESIDE POETS!

TYNESIDE POETS!

Thursday 18 October 2012

Departing Tyneside


 
 
I arrived upon Tyneside when

Last orders was still half past ten,

When slipways hadn’t yet slipped away

Or mines been undermined. By day

The Quayside was grim, by night worse,

Except on the Sabbath, God’s curse

On commerce relaxed by hawkers,

Barrow boys and other jokers

With market stalls. The day before

Would have been SuperMac, the roar

Of the Leazes End, just a year

On from Mexico and the clear

Refrain…

“Ey, ey, ey, ey,

Someone has pinched my sombrero,

The dirty twat

Has pissed on my hat,

And now I’ve got nothing to wearo, wearo, wearo…”

Then it was Haymarket, Hotspur,

Farmers Rest, Brown Ale or Amber,

The first time shock of being offered

A pint of scotch. T Dan occurred

And Newcastle was up for change,

Loose change in pockets of a range

Of speculators. Local feelings

Losing out to opaque dealings,

“The fog on the Tyne

Is all mine, all mine,

Fog on the Tyne is all mine.”

But always there was poetry,

In pubs and clubs the verse set free,

Falling from the backs of lorries,

Carried on the breeze through the trees

Of Leazes Park, Exhibition

Park or any park the mission

Could be declaimed. Those were nights of

Open reading; of the heights of

Prosody we were the steeple

Jacks: Poetry to the People!

Then freewheeling fine thoughts were dished

And the seventies abolished

By the Iron Lady.

“You can’t touch me I’m part of the union,

You can’t touch me I’m part of the union,

You can’t touch me I’m part of the union,

Till the day I die, till the day I die.”

                                    Two score years

And more when necessity steers

Me away: the union is broken.

Time, like stanzas soon as spoken,

Passes. The Great North Road also

Drives south, four full counties below

Where Akenside and Spence left as well;

The High Level and Bridge Hotel,

St. James’ Park (at last) restored,

Morden Tower largely ingnored

And Tescopolis, where it’s said

There once stood the town of Gateshead.

Central Station announcers sing,

The poet now departing…

 
                                                                        Dave Alton